Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Review: Tromeo and Juliet (2000)


I've been a spiritual resident of Tromaville for a long time now. I remember being a 13 year old, sitting slackjawed at the mayhem of The Toxic Avenger. Since then, I've taken Kabukiman as a metaphysical friend, and the Penis Monster as a nightmarish arch-enemy. I've been enthralled at the sheer number of breasts and decapitations I've seen in this marvelously surreal place, where Ron Jeremy can be mayor, and Captain Lardass can eat his way out of any bind.

Which is why I was never going to like Tromeo and Juliet: It doesn't take place in Tromaville. It isn't shot through with the charm Tromaville anarchy. Though there are moments of insanity and hilarity, it was pretty much a drag the whole way through. When you kill off the funniest character in Act 2, you'll have problems.

Likewise, when you have actual sex scenes (long ones, too....geez, they were almost boring) instead of the usual quickies interspersed with some other scene of gore and mayhem (like all good Troma sex scenes), you'll have problems.

But, you'll really have problems if you don't carry any momentum from one set-up to the next. There's just way too much talking in this flick. I thought the dropped-in Shakesperian dialogue bits were funny, as was the Tyrone-Tromeo fight with the "Peanut" family Kabukiman-car scene. Most of the rest is filler....

Rent it if you're bored, maybe you'll enjoy it more than I did...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home